Activities

TRU Buddy Program

It’s always a difficult situation and overwhelming feeling for international students when they first come to Canada. I had a similar experience that’s why I decided to volunteer for the TRU Buddy programme to help incoming students. TRU Buddy Program is organized by the TRU world where old international students will help the new international students welcome and help them transition in Canada. I was assigned with two students from my country, Bangladesh, where I had to help them with various questions, getting around the Kamloops town throughout the whole Winter 2020 semester. Getting to know the region, people, and rules and regulations may be challenging in the first few months. Students have a lot to learn and get adapted. I felt very good helping the students and being able to lessen their problems. I also got to increase my communication skills and made new friends. It has been a great learning experience working with my fellow university mates. I would definitely want to do a similar kind of volunteering work again. 

IDays 2019, TRU

Coming to a new country all by yourself, adjusting to a new place, environment, and culture is always a bit difficult. I had to go through the same situation when I came to Canada to complete my further education. I was fortunate enough to attend an institution that held an annual event for international students called International Days. It is a whole week event where international students participate in various shows and programs representing their skills, culture, and country. Like my classmates, I also took part in the Idays Fashion Show, where I had to dress up in my country’s traditional outfits showcasing our country’s culture and fashion. It had been a beautiful experience as I felt like being home away from home.